I-95 in Connecticut still undergoing demolition following explosive crash

Workers in Norwalk were back on Saturday to complete the demolition of a Connecticut bridge that was severely damaged by fire after a gas-filled tanker truck crashed on Interstate 95 and burst into flames. Both sides of the highway were closed between Exits 14 and 16 as crews worked to remove the melted Fairfield Avenue span that had been destroyed by the intense heat of the fire. Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont announced that the stretch of the highway would remain closed until at least Monday as the cleanup continued.

The state set up a live webcam to show the ongoing demolition work in real-time, with crews successfully removing the entire span by late Saturday. They were then focused on clearing the remaining debris from the roadway. Meanwhile, a line of traffic could be seen on the highway’s service road. Workers had initially arrived at the unstable overpass at 3 am on Friday, the day after the devastating crash that had caused extensive damage to the bridge.

The closure of I-95 resulted in a 13-mile backup on the southbound side of the Merritt Parkway, as drivers sought alternate routes around the crash site. Serious delays were also reported on the northbound side and on surrounding roads, with backups causing congestion in Norwalk, Westport, Darien, and Stamford. The crash itself occurred when the tanker truck collided with another commercial vehicle and a passenger car, according to Norwalk Mayor Harry W. Rilling.

Rilling expressed gratitude that no one was seriously injured in the crash, commending both state and local workers for their quick response in extinguishing the fire. Reports indicated that a Chevrolet Camaro entering I-95 from Route 7 had collided with the fuel truck, forcing it into the center lane where it struck a tractor-trailer. The tanker was carrying 8,500 gallons of gas, leading to a massive fireball that engulfed the scene. In response, schools in Norwalk were closed, and Lamont advised drivers to avoid the area over the weekend to allow crews to work unimpeded.

As crews continued the cleanup efforts, both sides of I-95 between Exits 14 and 16 remained closed to traffic until at least Monday. The live webcam set up by the state allowed viewers to follow along in real-time as workers removed the damaged Fairfield Avenue span and cleared debris from the highway. Despite the closure causing significant traffic disruptions and backups on surrounding roads, no serious injuries were reported in the crash, which involved multiple vehicles and resulted in a massive fireball. Lamont urged drivers to stay away from the area to facilitate the ongoing cleanup efforts.