Pottawattamie County provides updates on damage and resources

COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa (WOWT) – Pottawattamie County officials say damage estimates are still being finalized following last week’s tornado outbreak.

The county estimates that approximately 302 homes and businesses sustained at least some form of damage; of these, 259 would be residential and 43 commercial properties. Initial projections put damage at just under $21 million. Of that amount, approximately $12.2 million is estimated to be distributed among 194 properties in Minden, including some estimates for provincial or city infrastructure.

How to help – and find help

Here are ways you can help those in Nebraska and Iowa recovering from the tornadoes that struck on Friday, April 26.

"Thanks to everyone" will be sprayed on a damaged house in Elkhorn on Monday.  The area was...
Two Rivers State Recreation Area in Waterloo has opened as a secondary disposal site for tree debris.

The Salvation Army and other agencies have established a Multi-Agency Resource Center in Minden at the United Church of Christ as a “one-stop shop” for residents needing temporary housing, health care and other needs. The MARC is open to all county residents affected by the tornado outbreak. It will be open again on Sunday afternoon from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM. Efforts are underway to establish future centers of this type, possibly in Crescent, Treynor and Council Bluffs.

In Minden, power has been restored to all structures that can receive. The state is working with the city to obtain contract services for debris removal and a temporary water treatment plant to assist with restoration efforts. The installation of the water treatment plant started on Friday; officials hope to have it online in the coming days. Some contracted debris removal work will begin on Monday.

At 145th Street and Rosewood Road, formerly the KOA Campground, a free tree debris drop-off site will remain open daily from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. through June 2, excluding Memorial Day. Only vegetation waste is accepted; loads including building materials and the like will be refused.

The province says all affected communities have received sufficient donations of essential items. Those who need to pick up items can do so at four locations: Crescent City Hall, the Neola Area Community Center, the Charles E. Lakin Foundation building in Council Bluffs and Treynor City Hall.

For those who want to help, officials ask that you use the volunteer portal on the Share Iowa website. Agency partners connect you with those responsible for volunteering.

Monetary donations are accepted through the Southwest Iowa Emergency Relief Fund, which can be found on the Community Foundation for Western Iowa website. A separate fund has been set up for the city of Minden.

To report damage, you can do this through the Pottawattamie County Emergency Management website.